Music Education Pathways
Launched in fall 2013 to expand the music training for children in underserved schools throughout the city, MEP is generously supported by the William Penn Foundation and serves as a model for how arts education can change lives and whole communities.
MEP connects neighborhood schools in Philadelphia with Settlement’s Branches and, depending on the school's needs, provides ensemble training experience in band, orchestra or choir, or supplementary individual and group instruction. MEP will not serve as a replacement for existing music programs in the schools, rather as a partnership to enhance opportunities that are available to students.
MEP promotes Creativity, Teamwork, Responsibility, Persistence, and Self-Evaluation as core values to guide teaching and learning. Download our Core Values PDF to learn more.
The program also brings parents and families into the arts education environment by offering programs and performances at Settlement’s Branches. MEP will create a network of support—from home to school to Branch—that enables students to grow in their educational, creative, and social endeavors.
Each year, the program culminates in a joint performance, with students from all participating schools working together to rehearse and perform a full concert in a major public venue.
For more information on MEP or to inquire about potential future partnerships, contact Sally Weiss, MEP Program Manager, by email or call 215.320.2686.
Music Education Pathways is supported by the William Penn Foundation, PECO, the D'Addario Foundation, the Walter J. Miller Foundation, and additional individual donors.
Current Partner Schools:
- Hardy Williams Elementary School, a Mastery Charter school, Southwest Philadelphia, partnering with our Wynnefield Branch
- Hardy Williams High School, a Mastery Charter school, Southwest Philadelphia, partnering with our Wynnefield Branch
- Francis D. Pastorius Elementary School, a Mastery Charter school, Germantown Philadelphia, partnering with our Germantown Branch
- Thomas Holme Elementary School, Northeast Philadelphia, partnering with our Kardon-Northeast Branch
- Bache-Martin Elementary School, Fairmount Neighborhood in Philadelphia, partnering with our Mary Louise Curtis Branch
- Franklin Learning Center, Fairmount Neighborhood in Philadelphia, partnering with our Mary Louise Curtis Branch