Summer Program Highlights
From chamber music to rock bands and recording studios, students will deepen their focus and expand their interests over the summer. Here is a snapshot of what we offered in Summer 2018. Please check back in Spring 2019 for a look at our 2019 summer programs.
Chamber Music Camp: Strings and Woodwinds
- Strings: Ages 9-13
- Woodwinds: Ages 10-18
- Chamber Music Camp provides small ensemble experience for string and woodwind players. Students will receive individual attention from faculty with emphasis on teamwork, good musicianship, careful tuning, rhythm, and the musical satisfaction of playing in a small group. No previous ensemble experience in necessary. Camp concludes with a performance on Friday.
- Monday through Friday; 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Tuition: $400 for one week
African Rhythms Camp – New!
- Ages 9-14
- African Rhythms Camp offers students the opportunity to experience African percussion instruments in an ensemble setting, as well as the role of music in various African cultures. Students will learn basic playing techniques, traditional rhythms, and improvisation. No prior experience necessary. Camp concludes with a final performance on Friday.
- Monday through Friday; 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Tuition: $250 for one week
Music Theater Workshop
- Ages 8-12
- Learn the basics of choosing and dissecting a monologue and work it to performance caliber. Work on musical theater solos from the classics all the way up to the most contemporary works of today. As the class, progresses, students will use what they have learned in their monologues and delve into scenes from today’s musicals. Each scene will contain all components of song, dance, and scene-work. This class will include sections on diction and improvisation and will provide students with a rep book of monologues and songs that they will be able to keep. There will be a final performance to showcase finished scenes.
- Tuition: $215 for six weeks
Rock and Pop Improvisation for Strings
- Intermediate and Advanced Students Ages 12 and up
- Learn how to play hit songs on your instrument, play in a band setting, and understand how to think like a rock musician on a classical instrument.
- Wednesdays 5 to 6 p.m.
- Tuition: $130 for six weeks
- All skill levels
- Wynnefield Branch
- For students who play drums, electric guitar, bass, keyboard, wind, and string instruments. Students for small ensembles based on skill level to study big band playing and technique, jazz standards, jazz improvisation, history and composition. Camp focuses on introducing and developing strong jazz skills and learning how to play in an ensemble and concludes with a final performance at a local venue.
- Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tuition: $475 for one week